Cardiac Services BC is dedicated to ensuring all British Columbians have access to the best possible cardiac care.
Cardiovascular disease is the second leading cause of death for Canadians. Research shows that rates of cardiovascular disease will go up over the next 20 years as more people develop age-related risk factors like high blood pressure and diabetes.
Cardiac Services BC’s goal is to improve the way cardiac services are managed and accessed throughout the province by:
- Overseeing cardiac disease-related prevention and treatment
- Ensuring quality access and sustainability within BC's cardiac care system
- Promoting knowledge translation and system transformation.
Our program is responsible for planning, coordinating, monitoring, evaluating and, in some cases, funding cardiac services across the province in collaboration with senior administrators and physicians in the regional health authorities. It provides direction and provincial leadership by:
- Establishing a provincial vision, goals and objectives for cardiac services.
- Setting provincial standards for access, and ensuring the appropriate and timely triage of patients.
- Determining priority and allocating sufficient resources to best meet patient needs.
- Funding adult tertiary procedures.
- Identifying future demand and recommending future initiatives/technologies.
- Collecting and analyzing data to ensure the quality of cardiac services across BC.